We are looking for a passionate Mechanical Designer to join our Engineering Department and support the execution of projects. You will report to the Head of Engineering, and work closely with stakeholders, sales team, engineers, designers, electrical control team and production team to deliver projects. You will be involved in a number of projects around the world and at the same time work on high-impact R&D projects. You will work with internal and external partners, both domestic and international, as well as design experts and specialists.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good grasp of mathematics
- Highly organized
- IT literate
- Strong initiative
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player with ability to work on your own
What you’ll do
Mechanical Design (Mechanical designers create designs and technical drawings for mechanical devices and equipment. They work closely with engineers and other professionals to create and improve manufacturing systems or processes and develop drawings for layout, assemblies, parts, jigs and fixtures).
- Develop full mechanical designs of skid-mounted systems, assemblies, equipment and parts based on required performance, manufacturability, ease of assembly and serviceability.
- Apply knowledge of materials, manufacturing processes and tools, and manufacturing equipment in designs. Sheet metal bending, welding, plastic molding.
- Apply knowledge of CSA-B51, ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, ASME B31.5 to designs.
- Prepare necessary calculations on the proposed machine/part before completing technical drawings such as tolerance, dimensions, and thermal and structural analysis.
- Lead or execute FEA, DMFEA and DFMA activities.
- Support front end engineering activities for skid-mounted systems.
- Draft mechanical drawings including assemblies, parts, equipment, jigs, fixtures.
- Draft other drawings as needed such as for installation instructions, operating manuals, client communications etc.
- Creating and update BOMs.
- Select and source any necessary material, tools or instruments needed for fabrication.
- Provide all information to support procurement of all mechanical related components included in BOMs.
- Maintain libraries such as SOLIDSWORKS PDM as well as drawing libraries.
Qualifications we are looking for
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or Equivalent.
- 5-8 years total industry experience.
- Experience in designing skid-mounted systems typical of engineer-to-order environment (driven by front end engineering such as P&IDs)
- Knowledge of refrigeration, industrial appliances, food processing equipment, skid-mounted systems, mixing equipment highly valued.
- Knowledge of codes and regulations including CSA, ASME & GMP
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, PRO-E, AutoCAD and other CAD applications including SOLIDWORKS PDM and WINDCHILL PDM.
- Familiarity with PDM document management system
- Familiarity with ISO9001.
- Knowledge and experience with Manufacturing Engineering (aka process or methods engineering) highly valued.
- Proficiency in FEA/DMFEA/DMFA highly valued.
- Good understanding of manufacturing and machining processes.
- Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes, tools, equipment and quality validation techniques needed for skid-based machine building and assembly environments.
What we offer you
- Work on exciting and high impact technologies that you’ll be proud of
- Exposure to Projects around the world with the opportunity to travel to exciting places
- Friendly, welcoming and inclusive work environment that fosters collaboration across all departments and levels
- Flexible career direction with opportunities for advancement
- Work in partnership with companies and institutions that lead the world in R&D
- Competitive salary with a significant upside on performance, flexible work environment, industry leading benefits